Get Your GreenBack Tompkins is a community-based campaign to inspire all 42,000 households and every business in Tompkins County
to take at least one
step to save energy and money in the areas of
and Heating and Lighting
""The Cornell Energy Corps' renovations in Mann Library continue with more energy efficient lights in the elevators. Project Manager Ashley Kossakowski completed the replacement of 21 count 45W incande... scent, 6 count 50W incandescent bulbs, and 29 30W halogen bulbs with 7.5W LED light bulbs. There are a total of three elevators, each with 14 light bulbs. Changing all 56 light bulbs cost $839.44 but will save $1,039.38 annually!"" more
Cornell Energy Corps - April 4, 2013
"For most of the past thirty years Tommie Blecher worked as an electrician and owned a truck which he used for work and for personal use. But now that he’s easing into retirement, he hopes to replace... his truck with walking and biking, and gotten rid of his car, he knows that he will drive less. (Picture and story from Ithaca Carshare Newsletter)" more
Tommie Blecher - March 4, 2013
"In July and August, 44 people took food preservation classes at CCE and learned to can. One participant wrote, As a result of this workshop, I plan to ..' go to farmer's market, get some tasty veggies... ... then start canning for holiday gifts.'" more
Carole Fischer - September 14, 2012
"Next to our guest cottage are solar panels that were installed 13 years ago. We completed the installation in August, but by October NYSEG was still hesitant to connect them to the grid. In October, w... e were part of a solar tour for our congressman and assemblyman and 100 tour participants. We let NYSEG know that we would be showcasing our panels and they could be the hero or the goat. The tour was scheduled for Sunday; NYSEG came on Friday and hooked them up.
You will notice that we’ve got two meters. One runs forward and one runs backward. We don’t use batteries. We’re banking our solar energy into the grid. Through net metering, we get credit for the electricity put back in the grid at retail rates.
... we’re one of the best states in the country for solar. Since our electricity is so expensive, our payback is so much quicker. That’s how it works. Surprisingly enough, we get plenty of solar radiation. The solar panels are doing their job! This summer’s electricity bills were under $50 a month; $30 of that is just to be connected to the grid.
(Taken from Sustainable Tompkins' Finger Lakes Energy Challenge Newsletter)" more
Don & Rita Barber - October 18, 2012
"During the last week of February, 27 teams with 66 members participated in the first ever Coolest Carpool Challenge sponsored by Get Your GreenBack and Way2Go.
(Photo is of the coordinators from s... ome of the 10 participating employers.)
All in all the 27 teams shared 4,262 miles, avoided driving 5,872 miles, and almost 3 tons of CO2 emissions. Each participant saved an average of $53 over the week by sharing the ride (and cost).
Team 34 from Cornell University won the prize for Longest Distance Carpool with 434 shared miles; The Carpool Gang from Ithaca College won the prize for Fullest Carpool with 5 members; Ithaca Investors from Finger Lakes Wealth Management won the prize for most consecutive days with 4 people commuting 5 days in a row; and the Vestal Carpool from IC won the coolest story prize with their humorous stories, poetry and The Carpool Decalogue (pasted below).
No surprise that Cornell University won the prize for employer with the largest # of participants (28); Tetra Tech won for highest proportion of participating employees (over 25%!).
Thanks to Ithaca Carshare, Moosewood Restaurant, Diane's Downtown Automotive, GreenStar Coop, and Life's So Sweet Chocolate for the donated prizes.
The Carpool Decalogue (by the Vestal Carpool)
1) Thou shalt embrace a flexible concept of time. 7:20 and 7:40 are one and the same. So are 5:00 and 5:45.
2) Upon reaching the town of Owego at the end of the day, thou shalt welcome the prospect of thy evening repast by incorporating gastronomy into the carpool discourse.
3) Thou shalt not crave thy carpoolies' snacks, but they shall know thy true soul and share them with thee anyway.
4) Thou shalt not speed in Candor.
5) Thou shalt agree to discuss at length the merits of holiday lights and decorations along the carpooling route.
6) Thou shalt honor requests to stop for caffeine, particularly when said requests come from the driver.
7) Even when driving through snow, sleet, ice, more snow, rain, flood-like rain, and seemingly unchanging landscapes, thou shalt gaze at thy surroundings with childlike wonder, marveling at the extraordinary within the ordinary--such as the pink elephant at the Tioga Mini Challenger.
8) In carpool conversation, thou shalt keep up with rapid changes of topic and non-sequiturs.
9) Thou shalt... wait, is the ice cream open??? Let's stop!!!
10) Thou shalt spread the seeds of carpool spirit." more
Coolest Carpool Challenge - March 12, 2014
"Just built first compost bin with help of some friends."
Fabina Colon - April 30, 2013
2. Save Money & Energy
Supporting the communities of Ithaca, Lansing, Dryden, Freeville, Groton, Trumansburg, Cayuga Heights, Caroline, Danby, Newfield, Enfield and Ulysses in taking energy-saving steps.